Tuesday 1 May 2012

Day 9: Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade


Day 9: Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade

A good friend reminded me of this fantastic work, which I used to listen to regularly, but has lain hidden on my CD shelves for quite some time!

Scherherazade, composed by the Russian Rimsky-Korsakov, is an orchestral suite that is loosely based on the tales of the Arabian nights. It’s in four movements and uses a range of instruments: flute, piccolos, oboes, cor anglais, clarinets, bassoon, horns, trumpets, trombones, tuba, strings and a variety of percussion typical of music from this era (about 1888) including, timpani, harp and tam-tam.

Also fairly typical of the era, the music is quirky and tuneful, although, we often think of Russian music as being quite doleful and heavy (well, I do!)! In some ways it almost sounds oriental.

At one point, some of the music was set as a ballet, and was also arranged to accompany the end of the film “Song of Schererazade”, which is a bio-pic of Rimsky-Korsakov.

I’m pretty sure I’ve played some of this when I used to play in a wind band – or it could have been that other Rimsky-Korsakov suite, Le Coq D’Or. Either way, it’s great stuff too play!

No comments:

Post a Comment