Saturday 5 May 2012

Day 13: Ives, Holiday Symphony


Day 13: Ives, Holiday Symphony

In the absence of any Schoenberg in my CD collection, I thought I’d dust of my Charles Ives CD. Probably not the most common thing to find in a collection, but it goes back to my university days when we studied American music – Spirituals to Bob Dylan through Ives and Copeland and jazz!

The full title of this particular piece is A Symphony: New England Holidays, and my recording was made by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas. This is an interesting work: to me it’s typical of the 20th century avant-garde movement – mostly cacophonous, seemingly disorganised and written for a huge range of instruments, including a set of bells, and a Jews harp.

In amongst all the dissonance, I could recognise quite a lot of familiar tunes, each being played against  another, for example, Battle Hymn of the Republic and Yankee Doodle. Apparently, it took Ives nearly 16 years to write the complete symphony! Although it is a symphony, each movement can also be played as a standalone piece of music.

Just in case you are thinking of giving this a go, I should warn you it does take a bit of getting used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment