Sunday 27 May 2012

Day 28: Stravinsky, Rite of Spring


Day 28: Stravinsky, Rite of Spring
Picture to follow!
Ah, now, this is more like it!! Reminds me of my university days, and the music lectures! Such a lot of the stuff we listened to was from the early twentieth century, that this almost typical! I think one of the things that stands out for me is the use of the woodwind section, which is much more prominent than in earlier music. Apparently, Stravinsky takes these wind instruments to the extremes of their registers in order to achieve the sound he wants.

The word cacophony keeps coming to mind, but I think what I actually mean is dissonance! This is quite a feature of this piece, and others of the time. Rite of Spring (aka Le Sacre du Printemps) was written to accompany a ballet that was choreographed by Nijinsky and produced by Diaghilev – quite a roll call of names, there. I must admit I’ve never seen the ballet and always think of it as a standalone piece. Great fun!

This recording was made by the Boston Symphony Orchestra conducted by Pierre Monteux.

No comments:

Post a Comment