Sunday 13 May 2012

Day 20: Gilbert & Sullivan, Mikado


Day 20: Gilbert & Sullivan, Mikado

Ok, I know, in your book Gilbert and Sullivan doesn’t count as real music – but I love it! I remember when I was a child we used to go to the New Theatre in Cardiff every season that D’Oyly Carte were there and saw at least two productions each time! I have some very fond and vivid memories of those events!

The CD I listened to was actually a compilation CD, that included excerpts from some of the other operas as well as from the Mikado. This was the Pro Arte Orchestra conducted by Sir Malcolm Sargent, and was sung by some famous singers, my favourite of which was Sir Geraint Evans, playing Koko. When we saw those wonderful performances at Cardiff, I admit that John Reed was my absolute favourite: He was a master of the comic part. John Reed died early in 2010 and prompted an article on this blog.

Anyway, I’ve seen the Mikado so many times that I am virtually word-perfect (but I’ve never sung it on stage), so it was a treat to sing along to A Wand’ring Minstrel, Here’s a how-de-do, The flowers that bloom in the Spring, and Tit Willow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment