Sunday 20 May 2012

Day 24: Weber Clarinet Concerto no.1


Day 24: Weber Clarinet Concerto no.1

Oh wow! This really takes me back! To my teens!! I have memories of playing this for one of my clarinet exams; but how much beautifully does Emma Johnson play it than I?! This CD was obviously bought for the familiarity of something I could play, and for the performer who had just won the BBC Young Musician of the Year * competition! Can’t remember the exact year, but it was probably 1984.

Carl Maria von Weber ** (1786-1826) was a contemporary of Beethoven (1770-1827), although to me his music is slightly more reminiscent of the style of Mozart, and he was taught at one time by Haydn’s younger brother, Michael. The concerto is fairly typical of the Classical period, following the traditional concerto form – three movements, fast-slow-fast – and is scored for instruments typical of the time. Although I’ve said it is Mozart in style, apparently, new styles of writing appear in the first movement, although the final movement is more conventional (according to the CD insert).

As I’ve said, my recording is of Emma Johnson, and she is accompanied by the English Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Gerard Schwarz.

* Sorry to quote wikipedia at you, but this really is the best link to the competition that I can find on the internet.

** Now, the librarian in me would like your opinion about this website, please; it's not one I've come across before and I haven't had a chance to evaluate it yet. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment