Thursday 10 May 2012

Day 14: Brahms Symphony no. 4


Day 14: Brahms Symphony no. 4

Yet another one I studied for music A level: Beginning to wonder if I did any studying for the others! Haven’t listened to this in absolutely ages, but it all came flooding back as soon as I heard the opening notes! This is just such fantastic stuff! It’s rousing, emotional, evocative, and tuneful!

Apparently, Brahms delayed writing any symphonies until quite late in his career for fear that he wouldn’t measure up well against classical composers like Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart. Well, perhaps if he hadn’t waited so long he might have been able to create more; his music is great stuff and 4 symphonies really isn’t enough! That’s my opinion, anyway!

It’s divided into the fairly typical four movements and is scored for the standard orchestra of the time, which now includes trombones – three of them to be precise! The final movement is a bit of an innovation in that he takes a theme by Bach (possibly from the Cantata no.150) and creates numerous variations, done in a passacaglia, a sort of ostinato, but slightly different in that the theme doesn’t only appear in the bass parts. You really do have to listen to it to understand what I mean; I’m not good with words!

Anyway, the recording I listened to was of the Berlin Phil (ooops, again!) conducted by Karajan!

No comments:

Post a Comment