Thursday 10 May 2012

Day 15: Howells’s Sonata for oboe and piano


Day 15: Howells’s Sonata for oboe and piano

Howells! Now there’s a good Welsh name for you! Only he wasn’t! Or at least, he was born in Lydney in Gloucestershire, so I guess that makes him English! His name may well make several appearances in this diary of music I am listening to as I do seem to have quite a few of his works in my collection, although I really don’t remember listening to any of them before!!!

I think Howells is more usually remembered for his choral works, but I chose to listen to the oboe sonata, although I must admit the oboe isn't one of my favourite instruments, generally to me it tends to sound a bit “waily”. The sonata itself seems to be in four movements and lasts about 20 minutes. It’s quite a roller coaster of a ride with lots of sparky, jumpy rhythms and what to me seem like disjointed tunes.

Ah, now I’ve just opened the sleeve in the CD and it says here: “the piece … was to wait forty-two years for its premiere, given by Sarah Francis and Peter Dickinson at the Cheltenham Festival on 9 July 1984.” That’s a long time! Strangely, the recording I listened to was also of Sarah Francis and Peter Dickinson.

However, if you’ve never listened to much oboe music before I’m not sure this is the easiest introduction to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment