Sunday 13 May 2012

Day 19: Weill, Threepenny Opera


Day 19: Weill, Threepenny Opera

While I was at university I studied music as part of my course. Each year we studied a different aspect, and I remember the year we did vocal music, from Monteverdi’s Orfeo up to the present day, which of course included the Threepenny Opera by Kurt Weill.

I think this was written in about 1928, and I do know it was to a libretto by Bertolt Brecht, although I really can’t remember what it was all about, except it was inspired by John Gay’s Beggar’s Opera! It does seem to be quite typical of some music of the time in that it uses rather more unusual instruments, like saxophones, and definitely has a jazz feel to it.

One of the most famous songs from the opera is Mackie Messer, otherwise known as Mack the Knife (sung by the character MacHeath?), which has been made popular by a variety of artists, including Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra and Robbie Williams. I must admit, I do prefer the gutteral, gruff tones of the more traditional renditions of this song, rather than the more pretty versions of late.

The recording I listened to had Ute Lemper playing the part of Polly. In the original performances the part of Jenny was sung by Weill’s wife, Lotte Lenya (apparently she has also sung the part of Jenny too). What I didn't realise, however, was that she pursued an acting career, and played Rosa Klebb in he James Bond, From Russia with Love!




No comments:

Post a Comment