Monday 23 April 2012

Day 4: Saint-Saens Cello Concerto No.1


Day 4: 23 April 2012. Saint-Saens Cello Concerto No.1 in A minor, Op.33

What you probably don’t know is that Saint-Saens is my favouritist composer in the world – ever!

I don’t actually have a vast collection of his music, but absolutely everything I have is just utterly magnificent!

I recently bought a copy of the cello concerto from a music shop in Leamington Spa, where they had a marvellous collection of CDs to rifle through! That particular CD had two Saint-Saens cello concertos (yes, In know it should be concerti, but it just doesn’t roll off the tongue!) on it, which was why I bought it. Despite this, the one I listened to today was my original copy of the first concerto, a recording of Paul Tortelier being conducted by his son, Yan Pascal. I actually heard them performing this together way back in the 80s in London, so this rendition is a particular favourite.

My only regret with this piece is that it is so short! At just over 18 minutes, I sometimes feel a bit short-changed! I wanna hear more!! Compare this to Haydn’s concerto in C, at just over 25 minutes, the Bliss at just over 26 minutes and the Elgar at just over 30 minutes. Mind you, Saint-Saens’ second cello concerto is even shorter at 17 minutes!!

I guess the tempo markings of Allegro-Allegretto-Allegro should be a clue that this is not going to be a slow and gushing piece! More like fast and frenetic! That doesn’t mean it’s a concerto a la classical tradition; this is a romantic piece, whose tunes draw you in and tug at your heart strings! The perfect combination: Saint-Saens and the cello!

No comments:

Post a Comment