Sunday 22 April 2012

Day 2: The Messiah


Day 2: 21 April 2012, The Messiah.

In preparation for singing The Messiah in Lichfield Cathedral, I did, of course listen to it to remind myself of the quality - and quantity - of this choral masterpiece by Handel.

I've sung it a number of times before, but never in a cathedral, with an impressive organ and organist! Yet again, I discovered another enthusiastic and committed choir master, in Cathy Lamb, standing in for her husband who was off on a trip to Africa to find a venue and tour route for the Cathedral Chorus to sing at.

Listening to my CD at home, I was reminded of just how much I love not only the alto solos, but also the bass "The people that walked in darkness", and how, even though I think I can't possibly know the whole 257 pages of music, a lot of it is, in fact, quite familiar.

It is rather long though, but I was moved enough to listen to it all. I don't think I've ever sung the whole lot with a choir though; different choir masters have different views, choosing to retain different pieces, but rarely doing the whole thing.

Listening to The Messiah has reminded me of just how much I love choral music and how much I love singing.

Wondering what tomorrow's choice of music will be, given that The Messiah is such a hard act to follow!



No comments:

Post a Comment